Monday, November 29, 2010

Bedside toilet, oh my!

On Sunday, the on call doctor made her rounds. She said that things were still not good so she upped the magnesium to 2g per hour. I cried. I didn't want to feel miserable again. I had just gotten over one of the well-known "mag migraines" and I didn't want to go through it again. Thank goodness it was such a small increase that my body didn't really notice and things stayed about the same.

I begged to have the catheter removed. It was so hard to sleep with it in and I needed some dignity back. Well, be careful what you wish for. She said, "ok" but that I couldn't use the normal restroom. WHAT?! Oh yes, I had a sweet bedside toilet next to my bed. I literally stood up, peed in a bucket, and got back in bed. SO. GROSS. I joked with some of the nurses during my stay that you really lose all modesty in a hospital. I'm for sure ready for childbirth. I don't care who sees me...Lord knows all the nurses on the labor and delivery floor have already met the oober-emotional Taylor Wheeler and seen it all. hehe. I'm not ashamed. I kept telling myself, surely they have seen FAR worse than me. One nurse even joked that I wasn't a "walk-around" case. What's that you might ask? Well, those are the women that are so large that the nurses have to "walk-around" the bed to even get the baby monitor on their stomach. WOW. She went there...yes she did.

Back to my status...the doctor mentioned that pump would be started on Monday in my abdomen and some other stuff that I can't remember right now. Everything changed on a daily basis, so I learned not to get my hopes up too much.

Monday rolled around and my doctor came to see me. It seemed as though I had a "set back" and the contractions were worse. However, I still wasn't feeling a single thing. That's what was so frustrating to me! The meds were kept the same and I was told I could only shower every other day. I got my first steroid shot on Monday and the second one 24 hours later. The steroid shots are given to women who are at greater risk of preterm labor. They help the baby's lungs mature faster so that they can breathe on their own if they are born early. Let me say, those were a little painful!

No comments:

Post a Comment