Monday, November 29, 2010

Nov 15th....

I had made it through the weekend with no problems. I was a good girl and glued my butt to the couch or the bed for the entire weekend. My mom took off work on Monday to go with me to have the cerclage done at the hospital. I couldn't eat or drink after midnight and my surgery wasn't until 12:30...but, of course, they were backed up so they didn't take me back until almost 3. Umm, hello. Asking a pregnant woman to go that long with no food is NOT FUN. I was starving...and I'm sure Logan was wondering where his 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th meal of the day was. Poor, baby.

They finally took me back and gave me an epidural to numb me up. Let me just say, getting an epidural without the prize of a baby at the end is torture. It HURT. Also, I'm sure it would have hurt a lot less had I been in labor already. Men really don't know what we women go through to have babies. OUCH.

The doctor did a McDonald Cerclage which consists of 2 stitches in the cervix. When I woke up, I was told things went great. I was finally given some food and was feeling pretty good. However, I could feel what felt like period cramps. They weren't stopping and I just had a feeling that something might be wrong. I told the nurse that they weren't going away and she kept saying it was from the surgery. After about an hour, I told her again that they weren't stopping. She called my doctor. He said he wanted me to be taken to labor and delivery to be monitored before being released to go home.

When I got to labor and delivery, they hooked me up to the contraction monitor and said they were going to watch things for about an hour. The nurse came back in after an hour and said, "are you comfy? Because you're staying with us overnight!" I was contracting every few minutes at that point. They started trying to get things under control by giving me a terbutaline shot. I thought I had been given crack. My pulse started going crazy, my hands were shaking, and I had a hard time catching my breath...all side effects of the medicine. They told me they could only give 3 of those shots in a 24 hr period due to the side effects listed above.

At some point in the middle of the night, I was given my 3rd shot and things were still not calm. My uterus was going crazy, but by this time I couldn't feel the contractions anymore. Basically, terbutaline and indocin were tried for the next 48 hours. My doctor had come by to check on me and said that I have an "irritable uterus" which was described to me as it is constantly shaking. All of this was a result of the cerclage. My doctor said although I was a good candidate for the cerclage, he had never performed one this late in the pregnancy. Most women get them between 10-14 weeks.

Tears were shed many times...I just wanted to be home. Little did I know, Wednesday would be the fight of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment